I want to exclude a child from receiving anything in my will, or leave them much less than the other kids. Can I do this?

Yes, you can disinherit a child. You must be aware of the Wills Variation Act though. BC law permits your child (or spouse for that matter) to challenge your will after your death. You should seek legal advice to ensure that you have sufficiently documented the reasons for your decision, and set this out in such a way that should your decision be challenged in court, the court has ample evidence to consider when “second-guessing” the disinheritance.

Copyright © 2016-Present | Montgomery Miles & Stone Law Firm. All Rights Reserved
Website Powered by Cutting Edge Concepts